COVID-19 Preparedness Plan for CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul
CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul is committed to providing a safe and healthy workplace for all our workers and customer. To ensure we have as safe and healthy workplace, we have developed the following COVID-19 Preparedness Plan in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Managers, workers, and contractors, are all responsible for implementing this plan. Our goal is to mitigate the potential for transmission of COVID-19 in our workplaces and communities, and that requires full cooperation among our workers, management, and customers. Only through this cooperative effort can we establish and maintain the safety and health of our workers and workplaces.
Management, workers, and contractors, are responsible for implementing and complying with all aspects of this COVID-19 Preparedness Plan. CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul managers and supervisors have our full support in enforcing the provisions of this policy.
Our workers are our most important assets. We are serious about safety and health and keeping our workers working at CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul. Worker involvement is essential in developing and implementing a successful COVID-19 Preparedness Plan. We have involved our workers in this process by allowing open dialogue and/or anonymous concerns to be voiced without fear of backlash. Everyone is allowed to voice their concerns directly to ownership and management – if they choose to make it anonymous, they’re allowed to leave a note for the manager. Because we are a team, all concerns will be addressed with the entire staff, which not only ensures transparency, but also ensures we’re demonstrating that we take their concerns seriously. Our COVID-19 Preparedness Plan follows Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) guidelines, federal OSHA standards related to COVID-19 and Executive Order 20-48, and addresses:
• hygiene and respiratory etiquette;
• engineering and administrative controls for social distancing;
• cleaning, disinfecting, decontamination and ventilation;
• prompt identification and isolation of sick persons;
• communications and training that will be provided to managers and workers; and
• management and supervision necessary to ensure effective implementation of the plan.
Screening and policies for employees exhibiting signs and symptoms of COVID-19
Workers have been informed of and encouraged to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. The following policies and procedures are being implemented to assess workers’ health status prior to entering the workplace and for workers to report when they are sick or experiencing symptoms.
• All employees and members agree to assess their health daily. In addition, everyone agrees to taking their temperature daily.
• Because body temperature varies between individuals, we’ll ask any employees and members to stay home for 24 hours if their fever is between their normal temperature and 99.9 degrees, and for 1 week if fevers exceed 100 degrees. This falls in line with the Mayo Clinic’s determination of fevers.
• All employees and members also agree if they exhibit any symptoms, which is not limited to only fevers, they are to stay out of the gym for at least 1 week from the cessation of symptoms.
• All employees and members also agree if they have been in direct contact with anyone who has contracted COVID-19 that they are to stay out of the gym and can return after at least 1 week of being symptom free or testing negative.
• Because we are not medical professionals, we ask all employees and members to use their best judgment in determining the difference between things like seasonal allergies and illness.
• All employees and members will be required to contact the general manager in the moment they believe they are ill, symptomatic, or have come in direct contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. If anyone falls ill while onsite, they will report it to a staff member and that staff member will relay the information to the general manager.
• Those who become ill will leave the premises immediately. If they’re unable to leave immediately for any reason, they will be isolated and required to wear a mask until their departure. CrossFit Minneapolis will follow leave procedures for employees with accordance to the laws of the State of Minnesota and any federal laws.
• CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul has also implemented a policy for informing workers and members if they have been exposed to a person with COVID-19 at the facility. We will notify everyone by email and post it on our community announcements board if someone has contracted COVID-19 – this is for both assumed to have contracted or tested positive for COVID-19. Anyone who has contracted or is assumed to have contracted COVID-19 will not be allowed to return to the facility until they have been symptom free for at least 2 weeks, and/or have a note from their doctor clearing them to return. In addition, we have a strict policy of maintaining the privacy of anyone who has fallen ill due to COVID-19. Unless we’re given explicit permission from the individual, they will remain anonymous.
Basic infection prevention measures are being implemented at our workplaces at all times. Workers are instructed to wash their hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water frequently throughout the day, but especially at the beginning and end of their shift, prior to any mealtimes and after using the toilet. All members and visitors to the workplace will be required to wash or sanitize their hands prior to or immediately upon entering the facility. Additionally, hand-sanitizer dispensers are kept at each entrance. Employees and members are encouraged to use these throughout their day.
Respiratory etiquette: Cover your cough or sneeze
Workers, members and visitors are being instructed to cover their mouth and nose with their sleeve or a tissue when coughing or sneezing and to avoid touching their face, in particular their mouth, nose and eyes, with their hands. They should dispose of tissues in provided trash receptacles and wash or sanitize their hands immediately afterward. Our staff will remind all members and visitors of this policy when we start classes or see an infraction. Safety is everyone’s concern, and if continually infractions occur, members might be asked to leave class.
Social distancing of six feet will be implemented and maintained between workers, members and visitors to CrossFit Minneapolis. We have requested for all members to arrive only for their class time, this ensures we minimize the risk for potential exposure, in addition to maintaining efficiency of gym operations.
Cleaning, disinfection, and ventilation
Regular housekeeping practices are being implemented, including routine cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces, equipment, tools, and areas in the gym. Restroom facilities are maintained by the building management, changing rooms will be wiped down with a disinfectant wipe after each use by whomever used the room, Frequent cleaning and disinfecting will be conducted in high-touch areas, such as door handles, workout equipment, etc. This process will be incorporated into the flow of class where members will wipe down the equipment they use, and coaches will wipe down public items such as door handles.
Appropriate and effective cleaning and disinfectant supplies have been purchased and are available for use in accordance with product labels, safety data sheets and manufacturer specifications and are being used with required personal protective equipment for the product. CrossFit Minneapolis + St. Paul has purchased: disinfectant wipes, spray cleaner, and hand towels for the cleaning of any surfaces. The maximum amount of fresh air is being brought into the gym through the HVAC and propping doors, and the use of fans will help circulate air.
Communications and training
This COVID-19 Preparedness Plan was communicated by email to all workers and necessary training was provided. Additional communication and training will be ongoing via email and in person as necessary, and this information will be provided to all workers who did not receive the initial training.
Instructions will be communicated to members and visitors about procedures for arriving to and departing from the gym via email, and reminders will be given as part of our class flow. Additionally, we’ll have a reminder on the door for washing hands before entering, and after exiting the gym. If there are any changes to policies regarding COVID-19, all members will be notified via email of those policies.